Monday, July 4, 2011

Cracked OtterBox Commuter HTC Desire HD case

I got an OtterBox Commuter case for my HTC Desire HD seven weeks ago. It is a very nice looking case an its two layers of protection, with a separate polycarbonate outer shell covering a silicone skin. I have not had the "opportunity" to see how well this case protects the phones from drops, but it does look like the most convincing case I have seen, short or OtterBox's own defender. 


Unfortunately, my case has quickly developed cracks near the volume rocker button and power button. I keep the phone in a belt pouch, so as near as I can tell they were caused by pressing the buttons. 

This case is bit expensive, so I will try to see if I can do a do-it yourself repair and will post about in this blog.

Update: Link to do-it yourself repair.


July 9 ,2011 update:  The repair went well and it I think the damage wont be getting any worse. Needless to say I am happy to have my phone under OtterBox protection again.

I emailed OtterBox and they told me they will send me a replacement. That is excellent customer service. Really surprised since I never expected anyone to warranty "physical damage". It will be cool if they do, if not I will just use the repaired case. Nothing else I have seen in the market has convinced me that it will protect my investment as well as an OtterBox Comutter or Defender case.

July 18, 2011 update: The repair worked out pretty well. So far no problems with the repaired case. I am a little more careful with how I press the buttons these days, pressing them from the front of the phone rather than reaching out from the back to press them, The replacement from OtterBox arrived today.

October 21, 2011 update: No problems with the new Otterbox case.



2 comments:

  1. how did u repair it may i ask ?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check the link above. Otterbox sent me a replacement, which I have been using for 3 months+ now, with no problems.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...