The Android 4.1.1, Jelly Bean update is now rolling out over for Smart Communications issued Samsung Galaxy Nexus phones. The 160 MB update quietly came in over-the-air over the phones 3G connection.
What's new in Jelly Bean (Scource: Android.com)
- With Android Beam, you can now easily share your photos and videos.
- Instantly pair your phone or tablet to Bluetooth® devices like headsets or speakers that support the Simple Secure Pairing standard by just tapping them together.
- Support for USB audio docks, shipping later this year.
Browser and WebView
Camera and Gallery
- You can now dismiss a data usage warning without changing the data threshold set for warning notifications.
- Disable background data usage on certain Wi-Fi SSIDs by designating them as mobile hotspots.
- Android now automatically detects when one Jelly Bean device is tethered to another's Wi-Fi hotspot, and intelligently enables or disables background data usage on the SSID.
- Face Unlock is now faster and more accurate, and startup is smoother with a new animation.
- You can improve face matching accuracy by calibrating your face in different conditions and with different accessories (e.g. hat, glasses).
- Face Unlock can now optionally require a 'blink' to verify that a live person is unlocking the device rather than a photo.
- Jelly Bean adds support for bidirectional text and more input languages to make the platform accessible to more people around the world.
- There is improved support for Arabic and Hebrew, including a new Arabic font, in the platform.
- You can now enter text in one of 18 new input languages, including Persian, Hindi and Thai. Additional Indic languages Kannada, Telugu, and Malayalam are now supported by the platform.
- Emoji from Unicode 6.0 will now render when received or viewed.
- If the system language is set to Japanese, Japanese specific versions of glyphs will now be properly rendered.
- The platform's dictionaries are now more accurate and more relevant.
- The language model in Jelly Bean adapts over time, and the keyboard features bigram prediction and correction.
- You can now switch languages quickly with the dedicated language selector key on keyboard.
- You can use custom keyboard input styles for more than 20 languages, with keymaps for QWERTY, QWERTZ, AZERTY, Dvorak, Colemak, and PC styles.
- You can choose the input styles that you want to use for each keyboard, and use a hotkey to switch between them while typing.
Messaging and Talk
- You can now take action on notifications directly from the redesigned notifications shade.
- Notifications from the same application are grouped together, and the first item is automatically expanded. You can also pinch notifications to expand or collapse them.
- You now get an image preview in notifications after taking a screenshot. You can quickly share the screenshot directly from the notification.
- You can lock automatic display rotation from the notifications shade on 7" tablets.
- For Wi-Fi only devices, quickly see the SSID of the access point you're connected to from the notifications shade.
- You can now touch-hold a notification to identify the application that created it and turn off notifications from that application if needed, as well as uninstall the application.
- Wi-Fi protected setup is now supported with WPS push button and PIN support.
- A new setting lets you stay on mobile data and avoid nearby Wi-Fi networks with poor connections.
News and Weather
- Jelly Bean introduces a new conversational text-to-speech voice in US English, available as both a network engine and an embedded engine via the TTS API.
- A new embedded speech recognizer lets you use Voice Typing even when you don't have an Internet connection.