Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Looking for a Asus Eee PC X101

I wrote about the availability of Asus new ultra-thin and ultra-cheap netbooks, the Asus X101 and the X101H a week ago. Both are 10-inch Atom powered netbooks, with the X101 having a 16GB SSD and a slimmer 0.69-inch thick case, while the X101H has a 250GB hard drive with and a chunkier 0.89-inch case.  


I was looking for a X101, to use as a Linux box. Take it out of the box, wipe Meego from the drive and install Ubuntu... well that was the plan.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find one. While the X101H is available pretty much everywhere, I I could find the X101. A retailer told me that their orders for the X101 have not come in yet and they are not expecting it soon because of a driver  issues with the SSD drive.

So, for those who want an X101, we have to wait a bit more.

7 comments:

  1. Exactly my plan as well, except I will likely choose Xubuntu for its lighter XFCE desktop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am planning to try Gnome 3.. if the machine is too sluggish, Unity 2D. You should have no problems with XFCE.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will interest you then:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/netbookitalia#p/u/2/xAb0TxHOhno

    Italian, but pretty much speaks for itself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi bro. Is it possible to reformat this and install Windows 7 instead? If not, could you still install Windows programs on the Meego OS?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Windows 7 32-bit occupies about 16GB of hard drive space. The 64-bit version requires 20GB. This is as per official Microsoft system requirements. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/system-requirements

    Technically possible, and you should be able to cut down the size of a Windows install. I am not certain though. I use MacOSX and Linux.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and no. You cannot run Windows programs on MeeGo.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...